Thursday, May 27, 2010

Crossroads: not the Britney Spears movie

FYI - I may have seen that Britney Spears movie...in the theater. It's possible.

Remember that business trip I had? The one that nearly wiped me out? Well, it went so well that they sent me on another one. And they want to do more. So all of the sudden my minimal travel position has become a 50% travel position. Not cool.

I'm at a weird point right now with work. I love what I do, but I don't love what my position has become. My employer has made it clear that this is now what my job entails, and I can take it or leave it. I feel like I have no other choice but to take it, but I really want to leave it.

I am quietly exploring my options for working from home in a way that would be minimally financially damaging to my family. I hate the guilt trip I get from work when I have to stay home with a sick child or go to a doctor appointment. I don't like feeling bad for putting my family first. However, right now our financial situation won't allow for me to be a full time wife and mother without another source of income. I am hoping I can find that middle ground.

It's so funny how our priorities change. In my early 20s, I was completely career-obsessed. I am still driven by work; I love knowing I have done well at my job. But as I cuddle my son (who is currently feverish and covered in a horrible rash), I realize that it's ok to put the laptop down sometimes. There are things more important and more fulfilling than work. I just hope I can find a middle ground between the two.

6 comments:

Salt said...

I hope you can find that middle ground too. I would love to be in a position where I could work from home when I have children. It would be nice to not have to pay for the childcare also! Good luck making it all work.

And yeah I didn't see it in the theater, but I definitely saw that movie. And Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

michelle said...

that beyond sucks :( i hope a compromise can be reached so you don't lose your sanity, job or precious time with your family

The Ashes said...

I definitely saw Crossroads in the theater too..

T. The Destructor said...

Employers are asshats. This is why, I will become self-employed by the time I'm 40. I can be a freelance forensic psychologist consultant. If I can do it (and I will do it), you can find a way to work from home. You know, you'd think that with the environment being in so much trouble, they would encourage more people to telecommute to work. My mom telecommutes twice a week now.

nikki said...

Bah ha ha! You saw Crossroads in the theater!

Also, I know exactly what you're going through. I work four days a week now, and all I've wanted for the past three and a half years is to be home with my kid full time. Drastic measures...next year we're moving out of state so we can get out of the very expensive DC area and finally afford for me to stay at home. (And finish grad school to boot!)

Sadako said...

*Hugs* Hope all goes well with you.

Never saw Crossroads...am a little scared of the prospect.

 
Copyright 2009 I Really Suck at This. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator