Friday, February 5, 2010

The part where I suck at blogging.

Yikes.

Life has just exploded in my face. Work, home, work, work, baby, work, husband, work. I haven't responded to my comments. I haven't left comments on the blogs I've read. I haven't tweeted in I don't know how long. If you wonder where my blog title comes from? This is it.

However, due to the crap ton of snow being dumped on the midwest, I am "working at home," which means I can steal a few minutes to do bloggy-type things. Since I am working at home, I thought it would be great to blog about working at home, and why it is both awesome and awful.

Reasons why working at home is awesome:
  • I work without the constant knocks on my office door. I get a lot of questions throughout the day about things that aren't my job, which is annoying. I don't enjoy showing the same co-worker how to use the copier eleventy billion times. And, FYI, I am horrible with numbers, so you probably don't want to ask me accounting questions - or ask me how to use your accounting software. My idea of accounting software is Microsoft Excel and my computer's calculator.
  • I get to stay home with The Peanut, which is awesome.
  • Three words: working in pajamas.
  • I'm generally a fan of anything that keeps me from going out in the cold.
  • I can work at my own pace, with minimal interruption. I get to be super-productive, and look like a rock star when I come back to the office with all of my tasks completed.
Things that are awful about working at home:
  • The Hubs doesn't seem to understand that "work at home" means that I actually have to WORK while AT HOME. It does not mean that I have time to clean the whole house and iron his shirts.
  • I get to stay home with The Peanut, which means I have to take care of him all day. It's great when he's napping, but if he is fussy it's a mess. And listening to The Wiggles and Yo Gabba Gabba makes it difficult to concentrate - those Yo Gabba Gabba songs get stuck in your head for days ("Please. Don't. Throw things at friends. Please don't throw things at friends!").
  • The second I get settled into my work station (recliner), the demands start - the dog, the phone, the baby. I sit down and it happens all over again.
  • TEMPTATION - Internet, television, junk food. I have to resist the urge to say "eff it" and watch Project Runway reruns while stuffing my face with Cosmic Brownies. Oh! And that whole being in your jammies thing makes it very tempting to take a nap.
  • I have to get things done, or my boss will question whether letting me work at home is a good idea.
Do you get to work at home? Do you love it or hate it?

MVM27WUMEQ58

9 comments:

T. The Destructor said...

You are going to hate me for this but--I do nothing at my job.

I mean, nothing. I'm an intern, so when I got hired I thought I'd going to the courts, getting dispositions and affidavits, fetching coffee and dry cleaning, and cataloging and archving...

I do none of that. I mean, I have done archiving but that is ONE TIME since I got hired in July. I do nothing but wait for the phone to ring. Guess what? It doesn't ring.

So I think it would be just the same if I worked at home. I'd do nothing LOL. Only I'd be able to go on facebook because my computer at work has locked all social networking sites from their system.

I know this bliss won't last forever, but I am so glad its like this now. Once I hit grad school I can kiss these sweet days good bye.

Tracy said...

Ha! I work at home and can relate to everything in your post. Even the part about getting settled to work and then, hello, there's the dog...on your lab. Wondering why you're not playing ball. Yep. Fun times. But I love it and would not go back to my corporate crap hole in a million +1 years. (It's extra hard now with a baby, though...a baby who is currently screaming from her crib. Delightful)

The Ashes said...

We all have times where blogging has to take the backseat to life. It happens. :)

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

I work at home, too. It can me *very* difficult convincing people that just because you're at home it doesn't mean your available to do xyz.

The only thing I don't like about working from home is that it can be a little isolating at times. Other than that it's great, but I did have to make sure that I have an office at home with a door. Which I keep shut. :)

michelle said...

i love being able to work from home, but it is totally dangerous for my productivity level. i worked from home yesterday, and didn't get bubkis done. 1st fail: inviting my friend over to weather the snowpocalypse with us. he's great, but i felt i had to entertain him the whole day. 2nd fail: using my work laptop to check blogs/update twitter. it's faster than my home laptop, but then i get even more distracted. im going to try to make up for it today... as soon as i get out of bed :)

ps: im checking this on my work laptop because i never learn my lesson lol

nikki said...

My husband works about 25% of his hours (about 60 a week!) from home. He's usually good for about the first 2-3 hours, then his productivity drops way off.

Amber said...

I think I'd actually perform better with Project Runway on in the background.

My boyfriend keeps telling my mom that he wants me to work from home so that I'll never have to leave his house like Rapunzel or something. Boyfriend's can be creepy sometimes.

Masala Chica said...

I am no good at working from home. Thank god project runway sucks this season. As for being a bad blogger - I am totally with you. I always feel guilty when I neglect this part of my life. So I usually just ignore my husband.
Kiran

Cecilia said...

When I get a chance to work from home, I get horribly distracted. But I usually don't work from home, so it's not much of an issue...
p.s.
You are an awesome blogger! In fact, I've awarded you with a Happy Award :) http://greenestmermaid.blogspot.com/2010/02/oh-happy-day.html

 
Copyright 2009 I Really Suck at This. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator