Friday, February 19, 2010

Canadian bacon.


If I am highly unproductive and sleep deprived for the next couple of weeks, blame Canada. Specifically, blame Vancouver, home of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

I LOVE the Olympics. I watch everything, from ski jumping to luge to figure skating to moguls. Things that I don't care about for three years and fourty-nine weeks all of the sudden become incredibly important. I am patriotic and cheer for the American athletes, but I am also easily manipulated by NBC's athlete profiles, and will pull for anyone with a good backstory. Latvian snowboarder born with no feet now competing for gold? I'm all over that, and I'll cry when he wins.

Early in our relationship, the Hubs would complain about my Olympic obsession. That's right folks, the man who spent every weekend from September to February watching every football game possible could not fathom how I could be so into the Olympics for three weeks. Eventually, though, his love for all things competitive took over, and now he watches with me. He doesn't cry through every United States gold medal ceremony like I do, but I'll take what I can get.

Another great thing about the Olympics is the chance to form Olympic crushes. Apolo Ohno, anyone? And can we talk about the awesomeness that is Bob Costas? He's snarky, but at the same time respectful of the games and the athletes. And he's so tiny! He's like a Keebler elf, cooking up Olympic goodness in his magic tree.

And you can't have the Olympic games if you don't have some DRAMA. When a certain mouthy Russian figure skater gets beat by a completely AWESOME American skater? So satisfying! Speed skaters wiping out in the final lap? I'm on the edge of my seat. Shaun White does an amazing trick that he doesn't even NEED TO WIN? I AM PEEING IN MY PANTS!

Ahem.

Thank you, Winter Olympics, for being so awesome, and for giving me something to cheer about during the coldest, grayest time of the year.

On an unrelated note, I have been experimenting with emailing responses to my comments. Which means most of you have not been getting my responses. I think I've figured out a fix, but I apologize if you think I have been ignoring you! And thank you everyone for all of the kind words you've sent, both about my blog and about the pregnancy. You guys are as awesome as gold medal winning speed skater Shani Davis.

3 comments:

Hutch said...

I couldn't have put it better myself! I even got a little choked up during the Canadians first medal ceremony. We'll have to agree to disagree on Apolo, the soul patch that looks like flattened squirrel tail disturbs me :) I do love my some Seth Wescott though, yum!

nikki said...

Yes, yes, yes! Love the Olympics! My sister is in Vancouver now watching the skeleton races. (She's a member of the US National Skeleton Team, but didn't do so well at the Olympic Trials).

Sadako said...

I never used to watch the O-games, but I'm really loving the ice dancing this year, and am psyched for figure skating. I guess there's a little bit o' girliness in me yet! :D

 
Copyright 2009 I Really Suck at This. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator